The temperatures are lowering, the leaves are changing, and the pumpkins are growing, so it must be fall. Hampton Roads and Northeast North Carolina have so many must-do fall activities!
One of the biggest fall must-do’s for our area is attending the Virginia State Fair in Doswell! It is a little drive out of our area but worth it. This year’s fair is from September 23 through October 2 and features rides, games, shows, concerts, and other family fun. It even has educational activities including agricultural, technological, and historical exhibitions, livestock displays, and competitions such as pig races.
Fall Festivals and Pumpkin Patches
- Hunt Club Farm Harvest Fair
- Date: September 24 – October 31, 2022, from 10 AM until 6 PM.
- The Harvest Fair features a large pumpkin patch, Hayrides, Hunt Club Farm’s Petting Farm, BirdWalk Aviary, Tree Walk Adventure, and pony rides! On Weekends, the fun continues with food & novelty vendors, carnival rides, and a DJ with music. It even turns into Haunted Hunt Club Farms once the sun goes down!
- Greenbrier Farms
- Saturdays and Sundays through Halloween from 8am-6pm
- Parking is $5
- Greenbrier Farms Fall Festival is fun for the whole family! Pick your own pumpkins, bounce houses, playgrounds, pet barnyard animals, trek through a corn maze, and take in the fall air!
- Hickory Ridge Farms
- Open Monday through Friday, 9am-6pm and Saturday through Sunday, 9am-5pm
- Hickory Ridge Farms is the perfect spot for fall fun! Petting zoo, pumpkin patch, fresh veggies and fruit, hayrides, coffee truck and more.
- Chubby Pumpkin Patch
- TBD, waiting on their announcement – tune into their Facebook!
- This pumpkin patch isn’t pumpkin-around. They have giant inflatables, carnival rides, DJ, hayrides, huge pumpkin and gourd selection including heirloom & fancy pumpkins as well as wheat straw bales, corn stalks & other fall decor! They even have food and drinks for you to enjoy!
- Open Monday through Sunday 9am-7pm
- Pumpkins, corn stalks, gourds galore! Everything you need to decorate your front porch in on location.
- Cullipher Farms
- Market and Play Area open Tuesday through Sunday, 9am-6pm
- UPick Apples Open 9am – 1pm. Pickers must be in orchard by Noon sharp. $5 admission fee per person plus tax on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. No fee Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays. Age limit: If the child can walk, they need a wristband. Wristbands can be purchased here. Upick apples are $2.99 per pound.
- Carter Mountain Orchard
- This is located in Charlottesville, Virginia but it is the best place to go apple picking and you can make a day trip out of it!
- Open Monday through Sunday, 9am-6pm
- Call or check online for daily availability for apples – increased availability for upick for apples expected in early/mid- September. Please call or check website for updates (and tickets on select weekends) before making the drive!
- Martin Vineyard & Orchard
- Open Friday through Sunday, 9:30-3pm
- Pick your own apples! Bring your own container or purchase one from them. Please be prepared to walk as the orchard is approximately 300 yards from the check-in.