Memorial Day Weekend is quickly approaching, and Hampton Roads has many different ways to honor and pay tribute to those who served our country by embracing the spirit of remembrance:
Memorial Day Weekend Parade: May 29 @ 10:00 AM
- What is known to be one of the longest running Memorial Day parades in the country, the City of Portsmouth’s 139th Annual Memorial Day Parade, will be held Monday, May 29 from 10am-12pm. Since 1884, Portsmouth has recognized and honored the sacrifices of the brave men and women in the United States Armed Forces. Enjoy floats, marching bands, military units, and lots of excitement. The parade begins at 10 a.m. and travels on High Street from Peninsula Avenue (at I.C. Norcom High School) to Crawford Street.
Tidewater Veterans Memorial Day Ceremony: May 29 @ 12:00 PM
- Join Mayor Robert M. “Bobby” Dyer and the Mayor’s Committee for Veterans Committee as they host the annual Memorial Day Ceremony on Monday, May 29, at noon, at the Tidewater Veterans Memorial, 1000 19th St., across from the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
GO RUCK Memorial Day Challenge: May 27 @ 11:00 AM
- Memorial Day is an opportunity to ruck for those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to preserve our freedom. Light does not equal easy, but it does equal FUN. Led by Special Forces Cadre, cover 5-7 miles in 3-4 hours and earn your first (or 50th) GORUCK patch. Average completion rate: 100%- the hardest part is signing up.
This weekend also kicks off with some fun summertime activities that the entire family is sure to enjoy!
VB Surf Art Expo: May 27-29 @10:00AM-7:00PM
- Head down to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront for the annual Virginia Beach Surf Art Expo! The biggest surf art expo on the East Coast takes places between 1st and 6th streets on the Boardwalk!
Summertime Slide at Langley Speedway: May 27 @ 10:00 AM- 5:00 PM
- Langley Drift Club is back with Summertime Slide! Come on out and enjoy the day with fast cars and beautiful weather. The pits are open to everyone and there will be food trucks on site. Spectator gates and ticket windows open at 10:00AM.
Mount Trashmore Summer Carnival: May 26- 29 @ 5 PM
- Rides, games, and traditional state fair foods are all available at the Summer Carnival at Mount Trashmore Park. Located in the parking lot off Edwin Drive, the carnival is great for all ages and offers free admission and free parking.
***Beginning at 6pm on Friday and Saturday evenings, everyone under the age of 18 is required to be accompanied by an adult (21 or older) to enter the carnival. An ID will be required for proof of age. Adults must remain on-site at all times with minors. Anyone under 18 without an adult (21 or older)without an ID who is not accompanied with an adult will not be admitted after 6pm.***
This weekend serves as a reminder of the sacrifices made so that we may enjoy freedom. Wishing you an enjoyable weekend, and may the spirit of Memorial Day extend beyond these three days!